Welcome To Aberdeen & District Pool League

Create An Account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Stats  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10 August 14, 2018  

Login
Nickname

Password

>> Register <<

Main Menu

Who's Online
There are currently, 78 guest(s) and 0 member(s) that are online.

You are Anonymous user. You can register for free by clicking here.

Last Seen
GDav3: 19 minutes ago
Steve85: 6 hours, 36 minutes ago
Robinwright: 12 hours, 6 minutes ago
duncan: 20 hours, 35 minutes ago
Jghnfg477: 1 day, 1 hour, 22 minutes ago
johanwilliam: 1 day, 6 hours, 22 minutes ago
oliviawilson913: 1 day, 8 hours 52 seconds ago
hanganu247: 2 days ago
atttechcare: 4 days ago
aoldesktopgolds: 4 days ago
adobecustomercare: 4 days ago
delltechcare: 4 days ago
katyperry: 4 days ago
amarawalter: 5 days ago
aliciakeys: 5 days ago
hussnain: 6 days ago
amandalove: 6 days ago
Al: 6 days ago
JackKlark: 6 days ago
qizhen0809: 6 days ago
aolemaillogin: 7 days ago
BeckySpencer: 8 days ago
yaoxuemei: 8 days ago
magicmushtqali: 8 days ago
davidson119: 8 days ago
ayers247: 10 days ago
Godgieds22: 11 days ago
furrybeast: 13 days ago
niajax: 14 days ago
unitedsoftwareconsultants: 14 days ago

General
Topic: Rileys Home/Away Table Play Rant

Moderated By: ChrisL, a_j_scott
Aberdeen & District Pool League Forum Index
  »» General
    »» Rileys Home/Away Table Play Rant

Please Register To Post

Page 1 Of 2

Go To Page: 1 | 2

Author Rileys Home/Away Table Play Rant

Steve85
Home away from home

belgium    avatar

posticon   Posted: 2014-11-05 08:31

Hi Folks,

Been a while since I've had a rant on here but I was compelled to by several members of my team mates. The crux of the complaint is two fold regarding free table play and bad etiquette during pool matches.

Firstly, as a Rileys based team one would assume that the interest of the company to keep teams happy - before the start of the season we almost left due to the lack of free play or table time available, also having no home advantage was a factor, in the end we decided to stay following an update that certain discounts would return and be made available to us, with team cards (only just got mine the other day after weeks of asking).

The complaint in the first instance is that over a number of previous weeks and in the previous seasons we have been refused free table play on match nights if we are the away team ie Rileys A v Rileys B and we are B'.

In the second instance (and I realise this may be more a question of etiquette) if you are the home team is it fair that a visiting team is allowed a table to practice on during the game? In previous seasons as a Rileys team (playing as the away team) we were previously refused a table - let alone a free table!

As a home team in Rileys I would suggest it only be fair that visiting teams are refused a table out of fairness - this is I realise may be counter productive to Rileys as a business....however.... in the past two weeks of matches us as a home team with no free practice table sat and watched the match as our oponents have practiced during the game not only on one free table but two. I would suggest its hard enough to game home advantage at Rileys without gifitng the visiting team two free practice tables - especially if the team was an old Rileys team that left because of lack of free table play.

This is not a slur to any of the teams who we have played in the weeks previously but directed to the current Rileys teams/players and their oppinions regarding free table play and home advantage. The argument will obviosly stand that if an away team wish to pay for a table full price then its Rileys perogative to let it out, but as stated it use to be the case they were refused as its bad etiquette - but also as stated the argument of etiquette goes out the window if your gifting two free practice tables to a visiting non-rileys away team.

There seems to be a real lack of clarification as to procedure regarding this and would welcome any comments from James re this. I realise head office have rules however surely appeasing the Rileys based teams should be more of priority than a visiting away team. I would also welcome any thoughts regarding etiquette and whether away teams should be allowed a table, if we are visitng another pub - whether it has two tables or otherwise we dont practice during the match.

[ This message was edited by: Steve85 on 2014-11-05 08:33 ]

Member Information For Steve85Profile   Send Private Message To Steve85PM   Quote And Reply To This MessageQuote

ChrisL
Home away from home

scotland    avatar

posticon   Posted: 2014-11-05 10:52

Had a look at the constituion and league rules and this seems to be a bit of a grey area as it does not mention the requirements of the venue with regard to providing free play on match nights. I would suggest that something be proprosed to add to the league rules along the lines of free play must be provided by the home team/venue for the duration of the match in both league and cup games as well as for players playing a home tie in an ADPL event. I think we can then only then say that it is at the discretion of the venue as to whether free play will be extended on a match night to the home team or a table offered to the away team. This has to be for the venues to decide I would say and come up with a plan for.

-----------------
CML Web Design Ltd
Your complete web solution!

Member Information For ChrisLProfile   Send Private Message To ChrisLPM   Go To ChrisL's Website   Quote And Reply To This MessageQuote

Steve85
Home away from home

belgium    avatar

posticon   Posted: 2014-11-05 11:21

I think its the one rule one day and another the next that is frustrating to be honest, personally free table time for any rileys based team on a tuesday before the match, thereafter the match table only unless they wish to pay for a table themselves would seem fair to me. If Rileys can afford to give out two free tables to a non-rileys team for practice during a match the least they can do is provide free practice fro their own teams before a match.

Again its maybe a etiquette question but to have your visiting opponents practising during the match is pretty bad if the home team arent.

Member Information For Steve85Profile   Send Private Message To Steve85PM   Quote And Reply To This MessageQuote

FarleysAngel
Home away from home

scotland    avatar

posticon   Posted: 2014-11-05 12:03

As far as I know there are only two venues with two or more tables (Rileys and Holburn). So is this a moan at Rileys?
We have always been told that the home team gets the table for free from 6pm I think, for a bit of practice then for the match. If you are an away team then you have to pay regardless if you are a Rileys team or not.
I dont really think etiquette comes into it. If you want to practice when the match is on then why not? Whether you get free play or pay for it is a matter for the pub / club.
I do however think it is bad if it is one rule for some and another rule for others.

Member Information For FarleysAngelProfile   Send Private Message To FarleysAngelPM   Quote And Reply To This MessageQuote

sh88ters
Home away from home

scotland    avatar

posticon   Posted: 2014-11-06 09:05

"free play" from some teams that dont even buy a single drink on a pool night. At best a can of coke.
I know some teams are drinkers, but wanting everything for nothing is why businesses go bust.

And I of all people should know that..

Come on folks, pay to play and support your venue

Member Information For sh88tersProfile   Send Private Message To sh88tersPM   Go To sh88ters's Website   Quote And Reply To This MessageQuote

PaulS
Home away from home

scotland    avatar

posticon   Posted: 2014-11-06 10:14

Perhaps speaking to Rileys management directly would have been a better approach on this. There are so many players that are regularly in Rileys on match nights that it's difficult for the staff to keep track of who plays for which team.

People taking the piss is the problem here, not Rileys.

Member Information For PaulSProfile   Send Private Message To PaulSPM   Quote And Reply To This MessageQuote

DAWG
Home away from home

sudan    avatar

posticon   Posted: 2014-11-06 10:29

On 2014-11-06 09:05 , sh88ters Wrote:

!!! QUOTE !!!

"free play" from some teams that dont even buy a single drink on a pool night. At best a can of coke.
I know some teams are drinkers, but wanting everything for nothing is why businesses go bust.

And I of all people should know that..

Come on folks, pay to play and support your venue

Patty sometimes has a can of Irn Bru if someone else buys it haha

Member Information For DAWGProfile   Send Private Message To DAWGPM   Quote And Reply To This MessageQuote

Snakeyes
Home away from home

scotland    avatar

posticon   Posted: 2014-11-06 10:31

My guess the away team that Steve was talking about got free tables because the lights were left on after XSP matches, Rileys staff wouldn't have given them free tables.

Member Information For SnakeyesProfile   Send Private Message To SnakeyesPM   Quote And Reply To This MessageQuote

Steve85
Home away from home

belgium    avatar

posticon   Posted: 2014-11-06 12:39

On 2014-11-06 10:31 , Snakeyes Wrote:

!!! QUOTE !!!

My guess the away team that Steve was talking about got free tables because the lights were left on after XSP matches, Rileys staff wouldn't have given them free tables.

Thanks for you input guys, in relation to Andys comments - we have no objection to paying for tables on non-match days, fairs fair and all that.

In relation to the reason that Im posting this, it was James that authorised both tables on free play to the away team during the match to a non-rileys based team. I appreciate sometimes xsp tables are left on but not in this case and not in the previous matches case.

I appreciate an away team getting a table if they are going to pay for it cant be helped as like I said before we do need to support our branch of rileys and ensure it continues - what we are taking unbridge to is the fact even on match nights if we are not the home team being rileys based then we still have to pay for the table combined with our opponents getting free play on not one but two tables, all were asking for is a bit of consistency and support for the rileys based teams - dont think thats unreasonable personally

FarleysAngel
Home away from home

scotland    avatar

posticon   Posted: 2014-11-06 12:51

I am still not entirely sure why you are ranting on here.... You arent going to turn down a free table if you are fortunate enough to get offered one lol!

Speak to James and / or Rileys I would say. Sounds like their issue.

Member Information For FarleysAngelProfile   Send Private Message To FarleysAngelPM   Quote And Reply To This MessageQuote

Steve85
Home away from home

belgium    avatar

posticon   Posted: 2014-11-06 13:02

On 2014-11-06 12:51 , FarleysAngel Wrote:

!!! QUOTE !!!

I am still not entirely sure why you are ranting on here.... You arent going to turn down a free table if you are fortunate enough to get offered one lol!

Speak to James and / or Rileys I would say. Sounds like their issue.

I wanted peoples opinions regarding whether its acceptable that away teams should be playing and practicing while the home team doesnt, that is pool etiquette and along with the rest my team most consider it an unfair advantage and also rude - just an opinion mind

Rileys in the past use to stop away teams from doing this in fairness to the home rileys team

JamieSmith
Home away from home

blank    avatar

posticon   Posted: 2014-11-06 13:05

The number one way to resolve this is to speak to James directly, not to come on here and make it a public spectacle.

I appreciate your intentions were to voice your opinion and hopefully get it sorted but face to face is the way to go.

The rules have suppose to be the home team gets a table on for the match and Rileys put it on for free practice roughly between 5/6 if players are there.

If there are two Rileys teams here is what should happen....Free practice on both tables until match starts and then AWAY table is switched off of free play....therefore if the away team wants it, has to pay for it regardless of it being a match night.

However! I have noticed on multiple occasions almost every single player ripping the piss when they see a light on and instead of doing the honest thing and informing staff or taking the balls back they use it for free.

This is a two way street and the players should treat the venue with respect in order to receive it back. (This part was a message to everyone)

-----------------
A.K.A Ronan....

[ This message was edited by: JamieSmith on 2014-11-06 13:07 ]

Member Information For JamieSmithProfile   Send Private Message To JamieSmithPM   Quote And Reply To This MessageQuote

Steve85
Home away from home

belgium    avatar

posticon   Posted: 2014-11-06 13:16

On 2014-11-06 13:05 , JamieSmith Wrote:

!!! QUOTE !!!

The number one way to resolve this is to speak to James directly, not to come on here and make it a public spectacle.

I appreciate your intentions were to voice your opinion and hopefully get it sorted but face to face is the way to go.

The rules have suppose to be the home team gets a table on for the match and Rileys put it on for free practice roughly between 5/6 if players are there.

If there are two Rileys teams here is what should happen....Free practice on both tables until match starts and then AWAY table is switched off of free play....therefore if the away team wants it, has to pay for it regardless of it being a match night.

However! I have noticed on multiple occasions almost every single player ripping the piss when they see a light on and instead of doing the honest thing and informing staff or taking the balls back they use it for free.

This is a two way street and the players should treat the venue with respect in order to receive it back. (This part was a message to everyone)

Totally agree with everything you said pal, I fully intend to speak to James - no issue doing that, as our grumble was two-fold in relation to pool etiquette and not just rileys policy, I maybe havent worded that part clearly but it was relevant on an open forum to see whether people consider it fair or otherwise

Steve85
Home away from home

belgium    avatar

posticon   Posted: 2014-11-06 13:22

I really dont mean to milk the debate as you lose credabitlity doing that but in the rules as stated -

"1. BLACKBALL
The Game shall be known as blackball.
Play blackball in a sportsmanlike manner.
The referee is the sole judge of what is fair and unfair play and shall
take whatever action is necessary to ensure the rules are observed."

If I had been sitting like a twat for over an hour and a half during a match while my opponents praticed before the game as an away match I would consider that unsportsman like and unfair....

JamieSmith
Home away from home

blank    avatar

posticon   Posted: 2014-11-06 13:43

Riley's aren't obligated to adhere to the rules of Blackball though mate.

If that was the gripe then you should have informed the opposing team that they are not allowed to practice during the match as the home team don't get to either.

But again if they pay for a table then it can't be stopped. (Although on this occasion is appears they got it for free)

Side note - Could have suggested you's play the match over the two tables instead of 1

Member Information For JamieSmithProfile   Send Private Message To JamieSmithPM   Quote And Reply To This MessageQuote

Snakeyes
Home away from home

scotland    avatar

posticon   Posted: 2014-11-06 13:50

Steve, personally i don't see it as unsporting or bad etiquette to practise during a match, it's their prerogative.

Member Information For SnakeyesProfile   Send Private Message To SnakeyesPM   Quote And Reply To This MessageQuote

Steve85
Home away from home

belgium    avatar

posticon   Posted: 2014-11-06 13:50

On 2014-11-06 13:43 , JamieSmith Wrote:

!!! QUOTE !!!

Riley's aren't obligated to adhere to the rules of Blackball though mate.

If that was the gripe then you should have informed the opposing team that they are not allowed to practice during the match as the home team don't get to either.

But again if they pay for a table then it can't be stopped. (Although on this occasion is appears they got it for free)

Side note - Could have suggested you's play the match over the two tables instead of 1

The way the game went wouldnt of been a bad idea....

Staffe
Home away from home

scotland    avatar

posticon   Posted: 2014-11-06 15:15

I really dont get this at all.

Surely if you are a Rileys team you get your match table when you go in to practice on before your match and its on free play all night.

What difference does it make if your opponents are practicing, playing the bandit, watching the football or anything of that nature. Personally I encourage any players in teams I am in to support their team mates as I feel thats how it should be but thats just my choice. If someone doesnt want to watch their team mates then thats up to them whether they are paying for it or not. The management and staff can do what they want with the tables, there could always be a valid reason behind giving out free table time

Member Information For StaffeProfile   Send Private Message To StaffePM   Quote And Reply To This MessageQuote

JamieSmith
Home away from home

blank    avatar

posticon   Posted: 2014-11-06 15:19

Ain't gonna learn anything new with that little practice anyways.

And yeah you should be supporting your team.

Floyd.
Just can't stay away

scotland    avatar

posticon   Posted: 2014-11-06 15:58

What a load of pish fa cares

Member Information For Floyd.Profile   Send Private Message To Floyd.PM   Quote And Reply To This MessageQuote

Moderated By: ChrisL, a_j_scott
Aberdeen & District Pool League Forum Index
  »» General
    »» Rileys Home/Away Table Play Rant

Please Register To Post

Page 1 Of 2

Go To Page: 1 | 2

Member Messages

Search & Navigation

Please Login Or Register

[ Advanced Search ]

Jump To Forum: 

All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner.
The comments are property of their posters, all the rest 2004 CML Web Design. All rights reserved.
This site is built using MyPHPNuke.

Site designed by CML Web Design

Page took 0.038329 seconds to load.